Monday, April 5, 2010

The Story Behind `Super Skateboarder Stopper'

A quarter-century ago, I was fooled--hook, line and sinker--by an April Fool's story in Sports Illustrated.

It was about "Sidd Finch," a newcomer to the baseball scene purported to be able to hurl the ball 168 mph, or roughy 68 mph faster than anybody else.

And I like pulling legs as much as anyone else--and much more than most.

So when I had a chance recently, at the invitation of Wednesday Journal managing editor Helen Karakoudas, to pull an April Fool's stunt involving my alter ego, Super Shopper Spotter, I quite literally leapt at it.

Of course, last week when the article appeared in the "Wednesday Jerbil," I doubt anyone believed for a moment that Triple S now stood for Super Skateboarder Stopper.

Just the same, it was fun. You can see the tale, "Superhero scouts new economic stimulus," here at the Wednesday Journal website.

You can also check out some of Super Shopper Spotter's other exploits here.

No comments: