Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Go Figure Goes to Medill

Yesterday I had the good fortune of speaking at my alma mater for the third time since last autumn. (Pictured is me, as a bearded wonder, during my first such talk in November 2007.)

At the invitation of Ceci Rodgers, adjunct professor of economics and business reporting, I spoke to a "Journalism By the Numbers" class for grad students at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism.

Adapted from my seven-year-old workshop, Go Figure: Making Numbers Count, the point that I drive home more than any other is the importance of using numbers in context.

All too often, the stories we tell are loaded with stats in a vacuum--leaving the reader to guess as to their significance. Instead, as story-tellers, whether journalist, publicist or any other role, we need to take the time to truly understand the relevance of a given number and then communicate it clearly to our audience.

For more Go Figure tips, go to this page on the Inside Edge PR website and click on Journalism Tips & Training Columns.

What about you--what irks you most about how the media uses (and misuses) numbers?

No comments: