Friday, July 18, 2008

XS Energy Drink Featured in Chicago Sun-Times


A few weeks ago, on this blog, I mentioned one of my clients, XS Energy Drink, and described it as "easily the most successful energy drink you've quite likely never heard of."

Of course, my role as publicist is to make sure as many people hear about it as possible. And today marked a significant step in that direction, as XS was the subject of a fun, tongue-in-cheek story in the Chicago Sun-Times.

Below is a related press conference from last Friday at the Green Party's national convention in Chicago, held in a way that might best be described as "unorthodox."



My idea to propose a U.S. Department of XS Energy, and to tie it into a national political party convention, came in May, after I read a book by publicity stunt veteran Peter Shankman.

In Can We Do That? Outrageous PR Stunts That Work--And Why Your Company Needs Them, Shankman details how he used the 2004 Democratic Party National Convention to generate gobs of media coverage for one of his clients.

When I noticed that the Green Party convention was in Chicago--on the same weekend that XS Energy Drink co-founder David Vanderveen would be in town for another promotional event--it had all the elements for a perfect Publicity Stunt Storm.

Our next step is to spread word of the Sun-Times' coverage to other media, and expand awareness of XS Energy Drink. By the way, XS racked up $150 million in sales last year, placing it #6 in overall energy drink sales, including tops in online sales--and that's no bull!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome man! I think I'm up to like, 45,000 carbon credits by now. :P

Just enough to cover all the barbequing I'm gonna do this summer. :D